Clear all

Use Brucontrol to control glycol chiller and heat for fermenters-Help

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@canmorebrewguy)
Topic starter  

Hello All,

I would like to use bru control to run my conical fermenters, my thought is to use a glycol chiller that will have a consent loop and use solenoid valves (in and out valves) to open and close when the temp in the fermenters call for it. On the heat side I was thinking of using a heat pad system that would turn on and off with the temp from the fermenter.

A few questions:

Can I use the same brucontrol that I use for my brew rig?

What kind on temp probes should I use, I am currently using thermistors but I will have to make more probes for the fermenters. I will also have to get another conversion board for thermistors so I was wondering if they was a better plug and play option.

I assume I would use N/C valves and a relay from the arduino

Has anyone built anything like this? Is there a better way?

Thanx for the help

Cheers

CBG

(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

Hi CBG,

Yes, you can run multiple processes like brewing and fermenting from one or multiple interfaces (Advanced version required for multiple interfaces). The only issue with having one interface for both is your fermentation control is on 100% of the time, but you may not want your brewery control on full time, though you can certainly do that via a switch or E-stop configuration like shown in our Universal Schematics. In my personal setup, I have my rig powered by a MEGA via Ethernet/WiFi bridge and a separate fermentation/dispenser powered by an Adafruit Feathet M0 interface controller running two upright freezers  

Temp probes are a personal choice. If you already have probes in your comicals, then use those. The easiest plug and play option would be 1-Wire. Of course you can mix and match probe types in one interface.

Augiedoggy controls his fermenters this way. There may be others as several have asked us but we don’t know for certain if they are up and running. 

ReplyQuote
(@thesleepydog)

Posted by: canmorebrewguy

I would like to use bru control to run my conical fermenters, my thought is to use a glycol chiller that will have a consent loop and use solenoid valves (in and out valves) to open and close when the temp in the fermenters call for it. On the heat side I was thinking of using a heat pad system that would turn on and off with the temp from the fermenter.

Did you end up running bruControl with your fermenters/glycol system? If so, would you share how you decided to go ahead with it?

ReplyQuote
(@augiedoggy)

I currently do this but I only use a soleniod valve on the inlet side of my glycol manifold I also use silicone heating strips for heat. I use 24v dc valves and heaters. Ive been using brucontrol to do this for well over a year and it works very well... I have a ginger sasion holding at 76 now with it.

ReplyQuote
Share: