Notifications
Clear all

Pressure Sensors

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@storunner13)
Topic starter  

So I'm aware the the Panasonic ADP51B61 pressure sensor has been used as a volume input with success.  I'm looking at other sensors and wondering if the ADP41010 would work better?  The maximum pressure is just the max of the range I'm looking to measure and the accuracy is better.  However, it has a digital output instead of analog.  How will this change the calibration and adjustments in Brucontrol?

Links:

https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/panasonic/adp51b61?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIAGFv7O8KOND%252bIgZpOSeg84WQuL7qDf%2FvPw%3D%3D

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ADP41010?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIAGFv7O8KOND%252beWg8BGC%2femIijngrNDvw0w%3d%3d

(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

I don’t really understand how this is a digital sensor... it looks like a Wheatstone output which requires signal conditioning and is therefore really analog. That signal conditioning is extra circuitry that you would need to supply.

The analog sensor you linked has proven, in my application at least, to be a very solid performer. It is generally accurate and highly repeatable. At the end of the day, measuring down to even a quart would be fine in a 5 or 10 gallon application but I would confidently say it’s accurate to better than a quarter of a quart. 

ReplyQuote
(@storunner13)
Topic starter  

You're right about the analog bit, I should have looked more closely--it's likely a specs error at mouser.

What capacitors did you use to reduce the signal noise with the ADP41010?  Would a 22 µF 16v tantalum capacitor be sufficient?

ReplyQuote
(@storunner13)
Topic starter  

Sorry, I meant to ask about capacitors with the ADP51B61.

ReplyQuote
(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: storunner13

You're right about the analog bit, I should have looked more closely--it's likely a specs error at mouser.

What capacitors did you use to reduce the signal noise with the ADP41010?  Would a 22 µF 16v tantalum capacitor be sufficient?

You can put capacitors across both the power supply (like a 470 uF electrolytic) and across the sensor output (aforementioned tantalum and a small ceramic in parallel such as 100nF - see the sensor’s data sheet.) 

ReplyQuote
(@storunner13)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  Is the large 470uF capacitor beneficial compared to the mfr. recommended 100nF and 1nF capacitors over the power supply?

If so, I'll plan to use the 470uF and 100nF over the power supply and the 22uF and 100nF over the output.

ReplyQuote
(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

The smaller caps filter higher frequency noises. The larger caps will smooth out variations and noise picked up by the wiring. At the end of the day, it wont matter that much - the noise probably won’t be high and even then the software smoothing will make a big difference. We aren’t after crazy response as the kettle volume changes VERY slowly with respect to the  4 caps is a lot, so you can start with the 22 and 470 and see what happens. 

ReplyQuote
(@storunner13)
Topic starter  

Thanks.  I'll get the order into Mouser and wire these up.

ReplyQuote
Share: