Clear all

Are 1Wire sensors limt to 10?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 jon
(@jon)
Topic starter  

Does each 1Wire index need to be mapped unique virtual ports 200-209? Which would mean that the max number is 10 1Wire devices? Or can multiple 1Wire index share a port? 

Also is there a reason only pin 5 can be used. 

I'm thinking that eventually there will be 20+ temp sensors needed, and I thought it was better to use several input pins instead of all on the same pin. 

(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Jon,

Yes, you map whichever index to whichever virtual port you desire. This way when you add or subtract sensors, you can just adjust the index and the port (and associated device name, properties, etc.) remain the same.

Pin 5 was selected for consistency across all interfaces. 1-wire sensors are bus sensors, meaning they all communicate on one bus, so there is no benefit to spreading them out across multiple pins (which would only serve to create more busses) and waste more pins.

We limited (somewhat arbitrarily) the number of 1-wire sensors to 10 primarily because the 1-wire bus topology is slow. Trying to load the interface with too many sensors may affect performance. Convenience comes at a price, unfortunately. We can create a firmware for you which would allow more, but we cannot be sure what will happen to the performance. If you are intent on doing that many sensors, I would recommend splitting the sensors onto separate interfaces and using the Advanced version of BruControl to communicate to these multiple interfaces.

Let us know more about what you are trying to accomplish and we may be able to provide some more assistance/direction.

ReplyQuote
 jon
(@jon)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick response. 

re "1-wire bus topology is slow", that's why I was wondering about using multiple pins, as I had assumed they would operate as separate buses? I've read about people running 30+ on a single bus although not sure how often they getting new values, so it may be worth testing. 

I'm looking to uses Brucontrol as the control software for distilling. For each still, there are many places it would be good to know the temp, e.g. boiler, boiler head spaces, several places on the column, cooling water in/out, product temp. I will already need the advanced version as there are a few stills, fermenters etc so I guess multiple interfaces in one controller could work as a backup.   

ReplyQuote
 jon
(@jon)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick response. 

re "1-wire bus topology is slow", that's why I was wondering about using multiple pins, as I had assumed they would operate as separate buses? I've read about people running 30+ on a single bus although not sure how often they getting new values, so it may be worth testing. 

I'm looking to uses Brucontrol as the control software for distilling. For each still, there are many places it would be good to know the temp, e.g. boiler, boiler head spaces, several places on the column, cooling water in/out, product temp. I will already need the advanced version as there are a few stills, fermenters etc so I guess multiple interfaces in one controller could work as a backup.   

ReplyQuote
Share: