Notifications
Clear all

Three Elements

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@mkropp)
Topic starter  

I see schematics for two element rigs but what about three? Am I missing something?

I putting together a system that will have three elements: HLT, RIMS, and Boil. Is that not normal? The HLT and RIMS will be on simultaneously during mashing - the HLT to the mash out temp and the RIMS to the mash temp until mash out and then I'll probably raise it to match the mash out temp as I'm transferring to the boil kettle. The boil kettle will just have it's element on.

Is this not a normal setup?

Thanks,

-- The BaldMan

dav4122 reacted
(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

Three elements is totally normal! We just didn’t make schematics for a three element setup.

Its not *that* much different. If you have a rig which will power two elements simultaneously, you need a 50A feed circuit, and a scenario where one of the elements can be on without interlock while the other two have an interlock. If it’s a 30A feed, then it’s more tricky as you need a double interlock to decide which element can be on at one time. This make sense?

ReplyQuote
(@oakbarn)
Trusted Member

We have just the HLT and a HERMS.  The HLT has it own 30 amp 220 vac circuit.  The HERMS is a  110vac 20 amp Circuit.   Regardless, each is independent of the other.

For 30 AMP:  As a minimum, you would need at least 2 circuits for three vessels, but only two could be on at a time.

If you have a For 30 AMP  circuit for each vessel, all three can be on at once.

When we brew, we have all three going at the same time.  My BK is not electric but propane, but if it was, we would have its own dedicated circuit.

We start the BK heat after the First Run and heat the Wort while we are Sparging.   This helps shorten the Brew Day.

You could design a plan that uses two Electrical Contactors to share a circuit when only one could be on at a time using logic.  

https://www.amazon.com/Packard-C230B-Pole-Contactor-Voltage/dp/B07C1X6SHD

Simplistic Sample (logic would be more complex)

If "HLT Contactor" == On

"BK Contactor" = Off

End if

BTW:   If you are doing new power wire, we always upgrade the wire.  If it calls for 10 awg, we use 8 awg.

Brewery Rule #33:   Bigger is Better!

ReplyQuote
(@pbruno3)
Reputable Member Admin

Script corrections (always need to reference an element's property):

if "HLT Contactor" state == on

"BK Contactor" state = off

endif

ReplyQuote
Share: